Prof. Dr.-Ing. Peter Gutzmer
Deputy CEO and Chief Technology Officer
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Peter Gutzmer (b. 1953) studied mechanical engineering at the University of Stuttgart, where he received his doctoral degree on the subject of internal combustion engines.
After six years of research at the Research Institute of Automotive Engineering and Vehicle Engines in Stuttgart, he began his professional career at Porsche in 1984, where he assumed various project management and leadership responsibilities for engine and vehicle development. In his last position, he was in charge of project management and vehicle development and acted as deputy to the Member of the Management Board for Development.
In 2001, Prof. Gutzmer joined the Schaeffler Group as Member of the Management Board for Technical Product Development. From 2002 to 2006, he also acted as Chairman of the Management Board of LuK in Bühl. From 2009 to 2011 once again assumed further responsibilities as Head of the Engine Systems Business Unit in Continental’s Powertrain Division. He restructured this unit and initiated various joint strategic projects between Schaeffler and Continental. When the company’s legal entity changed to Schaeffler AG in 2011, he became Chief Technology Officer and, in December 2013, he was appointed as a Member of the Supervisory Board of Continental AG. In June 2014, Prof. Gutzmer was appointed Deputy CEO of Schaeffler AG.
Memberships and Commitments
- Associate lecturer and honorary professor at the Karlsruhe Institute for Technology (KIT) (since 2004)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Chinese-German College for Postgraduate Studies (CDHK) and honorary professor at Tongji University in Shanghai, China (since 2005)
- Member of the Board of the Forschungsvereinigung Verbrennungskraftmaschinen e.V. (Research Association for Combustion Engines) (since 2010)
- Chairman of the VDA (German Association of the Automotive Industry) R&D Manager Group Suppliers (since 2009)
- Member of the Board of Directors at Emitec Gesellschaft für Emissionstechnologie mbH (2010 - 2012)
- Member of the German National Platform for Electric Mobility (NPE), Drivetrain Technology and Vehicle Integration Working Group (since 2010)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the VDA (German Association of the Automotive Industry) Research Association for Power Transmission Technology (since 2012)
- Visiting professor at Southwest Jiaotong University in Chengdu, China (since 2017)
- President of the Board of the Forschungsvereinigung Verbrennungskraftmaschinen e.V. (Research Association for Combustion Engines) (since 2017)